Have you thought about selling your home, but aren’t quite ready to make the leap? Moving is a time to depart from familiar settings and embrace a new adventure. Whether you are moving across the country or across town, selling a home can be an emotional time.
Here are some things to consider when deciding if it’s the right time to sell.
1. Motivation. “Let’s see how much we can get for it…” Before you test the market by leaping into a listing, ask for a free home valuation from an agent. This is quicker than listing and can even help you choose the right agent when you decide to sell.
2. Changing family. One of the biggest motivations for selling is when your family changes size. If your family is growing, or if the children are finally out of the nest, you may consider selling and relocating to a home the right size for your family.
3. Finances. What’s your financial situation? How much equity do you have in your home? If you sell, will you be able to buy the replacement home you want?
4. Maintenance. Older homes need a lot of upkeep and the costs add up. You may consider buying a new home to save money and hassle.
5. What’s next? Having a plan in place for your next home is essential. No matter your reasons for wanting to move, if you don’t know where you want to live next, you’re not ready to list your home for sale. Find the right place by compiling a list of the desirable attributes of your next home (i.e. good school district, closer to work, new neighborhood, etc.).
Are you ready to sell? Give me a call and I’ll be happy to answer your questions and help you figure out the next steps including providing up to date data on what your home is worth.